Wasps
n***@yahoo.co.uk
2005-09-05 15:56:33 UTC
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.

Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?

Nick
Karatepe
2005-09-05 16:21:15 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
That's odd..... I noticed that too. I'm near Peterborough and can't
remember seeing a single wasp so far this year.
Robin Nicholson
2005-09-05 16:31:17 UTC
Post by Karatepe
That's odd..... I noticed that too. I'm near Peterborough and can't
remember seeing a single wasp so far this year.
No reports of the dreaded Blandford Fly yet. However, with the wife
away I sat down to a good vid and tea on a tray, and the very first
daddy long legs that I have seen, literally dive bombed into the
gravy. I was really shocked!
Robin
s***@angelfire.com
2005-09-05 19:06:51 UTC
Post by Robin Nicholson
Post by Karatepe
That's odd..... I noticed that too. I'm near Peterborough and can't
remember seeing a single wasp so far this year.
No reports of the dreaded Blandford Fly yet. However, with the wife
away I sat down to a good vid and tea on a tray, and the very first
daddy long legs that I have seen, literally dive bombed into the
gravy. I was really shocked!
Robin
Did you still eat the dinner;-)

I have been saying all year about the lack of wasps. I expect it was
the very late frosts this spring.
Alastair McDonald
2005-09-05 19:17:03 UTC
Post by Robin Nicholson
Post by Karatepe
That's odd..... I noticed that too. I'm near Peterborough and can't
remember seeing a single wasp so far this year.
No reports of the dreaded Blandford Fly yet.
The Blandford Fly has been eradicated, except for the type
sold in the Hall & Woodhouse Brewery shop! That tends
to go for ones legs too :-(

Cheers, Alastair.
Paul Hyett
2005-09-06 05:42:30 UTC
Post by Karatepe
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
That's odd..... I noticed that too. I'm near Peterborough and can't
remember seeing a single wasp so far this year.
I've seen a fair number of them here, but perhaps not as many as usual.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Si
2005-09-05 16:29:04 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
I've thought a couple of times how I havn't seen many this year. For the
last couple of years we have been 'hounded' by them, only seen 1 in the
house this year though. Still, I don't mind.
LJS
2005-09-05 17:43:01 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
Good question.

Last year there were swarms of them every time I fed my tortoises banana.
This year though there haven't been any. (Mind you, there seems to have been
an increase in bloomin' huge spiders taking their place. I don't usually
mind catching them, but these ones - no way!)
Graham Easterling
2005-09-05 18:02:54 UTC
Well, stop feeding you're tortoises bananas then.
LJS
2005-09-05 19:31:24 UTC
But they love it so much!!
Michael Mcneil
2005-09-05 21:54:37 UTC
Post by LJS
Post by Graham Easterling
Well, stop feeding you're tortoises bananas then.
But they love it so much!!
Go so much faster too if you tickle their tum-tums with the skin.
Michael Mcneil
2005-09-05 21:55:26 UTC
Post by Michael Mcneil
Go so much faster too if you tickle their tum-tums with the skin.
Well it does if you slide them down the stairs, I mean.
Robin Nicholson
2005-09-05 23:17:05 UTC
Post by LJS
Post by Graham Easterling
Well, stop feeding you're tortoises bananas then.
But they love it so much!!
Mine,male,approx 55years, really goes for half an iceberg per day when
the conditions are right. He adores being fed thin slices of cucumber.
Strawberries are appreciated. Once tried to bite the wife's toes when
she was asleep (again) in the summer sun- sharp gums really do nip so
it was a highly memorable incident.
Really moves very very fast when 'Cleopatra' appears but goes to sleep
very soundly late in the afternoon. What a life!
RN
Keith (Southend)G
2005-09-06 06:56:55 UTC
I couldn't resist this one that I received in the office yesterday, I'm
sure you'll see the link :-).

Keith (Southend)
http://www.southendweather.net

<snip>
A world renowned expert in the sounds of European Wasps is walking down
the High St one day when he spots an advert in his local record shop
for "Wasp sounds from around the Globe". On further enquiry he
discovers that a vinyl recording of this subject has just been released
and a few copies are available in store there and then. Naturally,
being a World renowned expert in the sounds of European Wasps he is
curious and asks the young chap behind the counter if he can have a
listen to "Wasp sounds from around the Globe".

A few seconds later the World renowned expert in the sounds of European
Wasps is standing at one of those little sound stations with his
headphones on and a puzzled expression on his face. He removes the
headphones, walks back to the counter and catches the young sales
persons attention.

"Excuse me" he says, "I'm A World renowned expert in the sounds of
European Wasps and I've just been listening to "Wasp sounds from around
the Globe", and I must say, there appears to be some mistake. Those are
no Wasp sounds with which I am familiar".

The young man dutifully checks the recording in question and assures
the World renowned expert in the sounds of European Wasps that he is
indeed listening to "Wasp sounds from around the Globe".

Puzzled, the World renowned expert in the sounds of European Wasps
returns to the headphones and once again begins to listen. After a few
seconds he once again returns to the counter and accosts the young
fellow there.

"Excuse me" he says, "As I mentioned before, I am a World renowned
expert in the sounds of European Wasps and I've just been listening to
"Wasp sounds from around the Globe" and I have to say again, those are
no Wasp sounds with which I am familiar. Are you certain I have been
listening to the correct recording?"

Slightly exasperated by now, the young man checks the disc currently
playing and with a slightly sheepish grin confesses:

"Oops, sorry Sir, I seem to have played you the Bee side".
<snip>
LJS
<snip>
lawrence Jenkins
2005-09-05 20:11:30 UTC
That probably explained why they came in bunches.
lawrence Jenkins
2005-09-05 20:11:17 UTC
Post by LJS
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
Good question.
Last year there were swarms of them every time I fed my tortoises banana.
This year though there haven't been any. (Mind you, there seems to have been
an increase in bloomin' huge spiders taking their place. I don't usually
mind catching them, but these ones - no way!)
Maybe it's those " bloomin' huge spiders " They ensnared them in their webs
of deceit and erm...eaten them. Hence bloomin' huge spiders.
Nick G
2005-09-05 19:23:01 UTC
Common wasp numbers have been in decline for quite a few years now. There
was a slight pick-up last year but this year their numbers seem to have
crashed again.

I cannot offer a reason why this is happening at the moment but I know of a
few ongoing studies. Wasps feed on many pests including aphids, so they are
a useful predator.
________________
Nick G
Exe Valley, Devon
50 m amsl
Nick
Adrian D. Shaw
2005-09-05 19:50:56 UTC
Post by Nick G
Common wasp numbers have been in decline for quite a few years now. There
was a slight pick-up last year but this year their numbers seem to have
crashed again.
I cannot offer a reason why this is happening at the moment but I know of a
few ongoing studies. Wasps feed on many pests including aphids, so they are
a useful predator.
No aphids either this year. I haven't had a single greenfly in my glasshouse,
and I haven't used any control. That's a first.

I killed my first indoor wasp of the year this morning. Maybe I shouldn't have
if they are such an endangered species!

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais uk
David Allan
2005-09-05 19:49:52 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
I can also vouch for the lack of wasps this summer.
Last year we were being constantly pestered by the critters... this year, I
reckon I've spotted no more that two or three in our back garden
(Sunderland).
I know they are supposed to to be very helpful, but all the same, I've not
missed them!

DAVID.
lawrence Jenkins
2005-09-05 20:06:26 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
Very low Wasp count in Sydenham SE London. At first I thought it could be
down to higher property and rent levels but I'm sure you are correct-it's
the weather.
Kate Brown
2005-09-07 09:11:08 UTC
Post by lawrence Jenkins
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
Very low Wasp count in Sydenham SE London. At first I thought it could be
down to higher property and rent levels but I'm sure you are correct-it's
the weather.
They're all in Blackheath, but hiding. I had to get up at 4am the other
morning to get a cab to the airport and as soon as we switched on the
lights the windows were covered, being battered by hordes of the
blighters and they were coming in through air vents and everything. It
was surreal and horrible, like something out of a B movie (bad joke in
there....), and I was terrified that friends sleeping tranquilly
upstairs would wake up to find the room full of angry wasps. But
apparently as soon as the lights were switched off again they
disappeared, and there are certainly very few around in the daytime.
Spooky or what?
--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne if you want
to reply personally
Jonathan Stott
2005-09-05 21:15:28 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
In contrary to elsewhere, wasp numbers seemed to be much higher than
recent past years during our week-long camp at Whitecliff Bay on the
Isle of Wight. Might have been influenced by a local nest, but there
were more than the usual numbers of wasps flying around the marquee at
mealtimes this year. Wasps seem to like fried breakfasts!

However, nowhere near as many wasps as in previous years (4 to 10 years
ago) there.
--
Jonathan Stott
Canterbury Weather: http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/
Reverse my e-mail address to reply by e-mail
General Von Clinkerhoffen
Nick
"wafflycat" <waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk>
2005-09-06 08:11:15 UTC
Post by n***@yahoo.co.uk
Got beyond the end of August without being pestered by wasps once this
year (Southampton) despite frequently eating outside.
Have the cool nights and lack of weather which is both warm and wet
impacted on the wasp population?
Nick
Relatively few in mid-Norfolk this summer. One did, however, make it's way
inside my son's cycling glove as he was cycling and proceeded to sting him
quite a lot. Son got his revenge by picking the wasp off his hand therby
decapitating it. Got a feeling the cold spell earlier in the year might have
successfully killed a fair few wasps off. On the plus side, it has meant
eating al fresco is pleasant but on the downside, wasps do have a role to
play - they eat an enormous amount of garden pests.
Les
2005-09-06 11:02:10 UTC
Post by "wafflycat" <waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk>
Relatively few in mid-Norfolk this summer.
Usual numbers in North Norfolk. They love (Norfolk) reed fences.
While sitting in the garden you can hear the blighters sawing chunks
out of the reeds - presumably for nest material. I reckon it will
need replacing in a year or so.
"wafflycat" <waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk>
2005-09-06 15:40:30 UTC
Post by Les
Post by "wafflycat" <waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk>
Relatively few in mid-Norfolk this summer.
Usual numbers in North Norfolk. They love (Norfolk) reed fences.
While sitting in the garden you can hear the blighters sawing chunks
out of the reeds - presumably for nest material. I reckon it will
need replacing in a year or so.
Obviously you've got all of my wasps. This is incredibly kind of you and
much appreciated ;-)