Aurora - Tonight?
Col
2005-01-22 06:29:07 UTC
I didn't realise there was such a display last night, so never thought to look.
Having never seen one I'm wondering if it will be visible tonight as we will
clearly have ideal viewing conditions.

I'm sure there is an aurora alert website somewhere.

Col
--
Bolton, Lancashire.
160m asl.
http://www.reddwarfer.btinternet.co.uk/WeatherPictures.html
Lester
Col
2005-01-22 10:47:12 UTC
Post by Lester
http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/
Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Col
Ian Sutherland
2005-01-22 08:12:43 UTC
Post by Col
I didn't realise there was such a display last night, so never thought to look.
Having never seen one I'm wondering if it will be visible tonight as we will
clearly have ideal viewing conditions.
I'm sure there is an aurora alert website somewhere.
Col
Try the SAMNET site based on a magnetometer at York:

http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/

..... they'll even send you an e-mail alert when activity is high,
although I always miss them because I'm never reading e-mail around
midnight when most seem to occur.

Regards,

Ian Sutherland
Rob Overfield
2005-01-22 12:47:37 UTC
Post by Lester
Post by Col
I didn't realise there was such a display last night, so never thought to look.
Having never seen one I'm wondering if it will be visible tonight as we will
clearly have ideal viewing conditions.
I'm sure there is an aurora alert website somewhere.
Col
http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/
..... they'll even send you an e-mail alert when activity is high,
although I always miss them because I'm never reading e-mail around
midnight when most seem to occur.
I wouldn'r rely on them though. The first alert was sent out at 2001 UT,
well for most people the best of it was over by then. The seconmd alert at
2201UT, coded red, was just before the display appeared to have one last
spurt of activity before fading away by about 2300UT.

I first saw it about 1855UT, as I was on my way to an astronomical society
meeting at Scarborough, would you believe. The next 30 mins was one of the
bst displays I've seen from this latitude. Although I will have to have
words with the members in the society in Hull. They were out observing at a
dark location and hadn't seen anything until I called them at about 1910UT.
The Pres of the society will have to raise this, in gentle fun, at the next
meeting (which is me anyway!).

--
Rob Overfield
Hull
http://www.astrosport02.karoo.net/YorkshireWeather/
Jeff
2005-01-22 19:51:11 UTC
Post by Rob Overfield
[...]
I use Sky & Telescope's AstroAlert service for aurora alerts.
They email you when an earth-directed flare is observed on the Sun, thus
giving you a day or so warning.
Obviously not every flare will lead to aurora, but it's a lot better
than getting an alert after the show's finished!
You can subscribe here:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/proamcollab/astroalert/default.asp

Jeff